When a truck’s electronic systems detect a crash, it is common for the electronic control module (ECM) of the vehicle to save a record of the incident. Sensor data such as engine speed, steering wheel tilt, or brake application each tell an important story about what actions the driver took (or did not take) prior to an accident. For applications such as evidence collection, this data can be crucial. A standard diagnostic tool can view this data, however the setup varies greatly by manufacturer, often require costly software licenses, and in some cases will destroy or reset ECU data without intention. The Forensic Link Adapter takes a different approach. With it, one device can extract data from a wide variety of manufacturers, time and costs are kept to a minimum, and our patented ECU imaging technique ensures data accuracy. We take data recovery a step further with TruckCRYPT, which offers encrypted uploads, data visualization, and team management tools.
Top Reasons to Buy
The Forensic Link Adapter uses cryptographic hash functions to gather a unique fingerprint of all the data it obtains. To ensure this data is not tampered with, the hash values are computed again before rendering and compared to the original unique value. This gives mathematically-based confidence that no data has been altered.
TruckCRYPT Software produces a consistent, concise, and easy to read report. All manufacturers’ data is displayed in the same format, which makes comparisons and interpretation much easier.
It’s forensically sound
The FLA and TruckCRYPT software were born from digital forensics research and the focus of these products is on forensic soundness. The FLA does not overwrite data on the ECM.
Download times are measured in minutes as opposed to half-hour increments. On supported ECMs, the user does not even need a laptop.
The Forensic Link Adapter can tolerate malformed DDEC Reports records where the realtime clock has run out of battery. The FLA is also the only device that can recover CAT Snapshot data after a power loss (See SAE Paper 2016-01-1493 for peer-reviewed acceptance of the FLA’s recovery process).
Timestamps are displayed on DDEC Hard Brake and Last Stop records, which enables users to correlate these records with other engine hour based records (like ABS) in the truck. The Fast Stop Records from a PACCAR engine contain a timestamp to the nearest second in TruckCRYPT. PACCAR DAVIE does not report this level of precision.
GPS signals keep track of time and location of the FLA, which can be very helpful when sorting through multiple vehicle crashes.
The Forensic Link adapter has an RP1210 compatible mode where the FLA can be used with any PC based diagnostic software. This enables the FLA to be used with Detroit Diesel DDEC Reports and Cummins PowerSpec.
The FLA comes in a custom case with precise fitting foam inserts and all the necessary cables. The FLA enclosure is extruded aluminum and the on-screen display can be seen in the sunlight.
1. Works with current software through RP1210 compliant interface
2. Automatic time-keeping through GPS and Internet
3. OLED display for visibility in daylight
4. CAN bus support for J1939
5. J1708/J1587 bus support
6. Hardware write-blocker to prevent alteration of the ECM data
7. Easy Internet-based updates
8. Rugged aluminum enclosure
9. Ships in a rugged carrying case
10. Includes 9-pin Diagnostic to 15-pin connector cable
11. Includes a 6-pin to 9-pin adapter cable
12. USB 2.0 connection for RP1210 using DG Technologies DPA functionality
13. Web-based user preview interface
14. Compatible with 24V systems
15. Automatic strong encryption of forensic data
16. User buttons for rapid mode selection
17. Automatic logging and presentation of network traffic
18. Standards-based diagnostics
19. Made in USA
- Caterpillar ADEM III
- Caterpillar ADEM IV
- Detroit Diesel DDEC IV
- Detroit Diesel DDEC V
- Some Detroit Diesel DDEC VI
- Mercedes MBE 4000/900 VCU
- PACCAR MX (2010-2016)
- Navistar Maxxforce
- All other ECMs are supported through the RP1210 USB interface (i.e. it will work like a regular Vehicle Diagnostics Adapter)
Recommended Software: TruckCRYPT
Combined with a TruckCRYPT software service subscription, the FLA can securely communicate with the Synercon Technologies server to provide verified data reports through our FLA Portal website. The Forensic Link Adapter will be able to download and encrypt the data without access to the TruckCRYPT service; however, an active subscription is required to decrypt and visualize the data.
- TruckCRYPT Subscription for the FLA$2,000.00 – $5,400.00TruckCRYPT is a cloud-connected software for the FLA that can encrypt, authenticate, and interpret heavy vehicle digital forensic data. It provides unlimited access to your account as well as any software updates. If you would like to renew your TruckCRYPT subscription, please provide the relevant FLA serial numbers in the order notes and we will remotely enable access.