This cable requires a special setup procedure. To enable communication with your SSS2, some parameters need to be changed within the SSS2 Interface Application.
1. Once your SSS2 is connected to your PC and Interface Application, you will need to send a serial command through the Command Interface tab. Type in ‘39,0’ and press enter. This will toggle the internal multiplexing switch to communicate with the proper CAN2 channel of your CPC3Evo cable.
2. Both CAN channels need to be set to 500,000 bits/second. Navigate to the Data Logger tab and change the J1939 and CAN1 bitrates to 500000 using the drop-down menus pictured below.
Additionally, your CPC3Evo module may need to be woken up before communication with other software is possible. This is most easily done using the Detroit Diesel DiagnosticLink™ software. In our testing, we were only able to generate a DDEC® Report after first connecting to the DiagnosticLink™ software and enabling some disabled parameters.
Full Instructions to connect with DDEC® Reports using the CPC3Evo cable and DPA 5 Pro:
- Install DDEC Reports v9.01
- Install DPA 5 Pro version 4.01.40
- Install SSS2 Interface App
- Connect CPC3Evo cable to SSS2, connect other end to CPC3Evo module
- Connect 25-pin cable to DPA 5 (included in DPA 5 kit), connect SSS2 to DPA 5 9-pin Deutsch cable
- Connect DPA 5 Pro to laptop via USB
- Plug in SSS2 power supply
- Connect USB cable from SSS2 to laptop
- Connect USB cable for DPA 5 Pro to laptop
- Open SSS2 Interface App, connect
- Turn on Ignition by either pressing and holding the SSS2 knob for 2 seconds or using the checkbox within the interface. Green LED should illuminate on device
- Set baud rate to 500K on all three channels; choose 500000, then select Set on each
- Set this parameter to false. Type ‘39,0’ and press Enter.
- In some cases, the CPC3 Evo module will not connect to DDEC Reports. This is due to false parameters set within the module which disable communication. To wake up your module, connect to DiagnosticLink™ with a DPA 5 Pro. Click on the Parameters menu and under “340 – Fleet Management”, change each value to 1.
- In DDEC Reports, Be sure to have the proper adapter selected: Tools > Set Connection Interface
- Follow instructions, select Start Extraction
- Report displays a few seconds later